A Big List of Things You Could Be Putting on Toast, Crackers, or Rice Cakes
No need to get stuck in an almond butter & banana rut. Here are some nutritious, flavor-packed spreads, slathers, and toppings for anything flat and relatively crispy. Or, broadly speaking, toast ideas. Perfect for breakfast, light lunches, mid-day snacks. This list focuses primarily on the savory front.
1. Lentils folded into Yogurt, Spinach, and Basil - (101 Cookbooks) This was fantastically popular on Pinterest when I originally posted it (a bit of a surprise to me!). My advice? Make a double batch of the lentil topping. It features loads of spinach, a bit of garlic, and basil bound with greek yogurt. I love it on toasted walnut bread, but friends who can't handle gluten or wheat enjoy it wrapped in sturdy lettuce. Get the recipe here.
3. Sqirl's Avocado Toast with Pickled Carrots, Garlic Cream, and House Spice Mix - (The Delicious Life) Yes, a thousand times. This. Get the recipe here.
4. Creative Plant-based Toast ideas - (The Conscientious Eater)
Faith has a list of toast ideas here, but the one that caught my attention was the Creamy Sweet Potato Tahini toast! Get the recipe here.
5. Kale Chip Avocado Toast - No recipe to link to, but I make this as a morning snack all the time. Smash some avocado on a piece of toasted whole-grain bread, and sprinkle generously with nutritional yeast and crushed kale chips. Finish of with a few hemp seeds, and a kiss of salt. I like post some of these little non-recipes on my Instagram.
7. Beet Caviar - (101 Cookbooks) - A favorite. Track down the best, darkest rye bread you can find, and make this beet spread. The sweet earthiness of roasted beets is accented with toasted walnuts, chives, dates, a bit of booziness, and a swirl of creme fraiche. Look at the color! Get the recipe here.
8. Joy Manning Wasa Lunch Crackers - Joy's crackers caught my attention on Instagram, have a look. Wasa crackers slathered with hummus, sprinkled with chickpeas, za'atar, and spicy kraut. Yes, please! Follow Joy here.
9. A Week of Putting Things on Rice Crackers - (101 Cookbooks) A diverse list of all the things I put on rice crackers over the course of a week - these would also be great on toast, or as components in wraps! Get the recipe here.