Everyone should have a green juice recipe in their repertoire, and this one is a ringer. Its heart and soul is straight green, not at all sweet, with a good amount of lemon-lime tang, and invigorating ginger lift. Like many green juices, it makes you sing from the inside, and is reason enough to invest in a juicer, or dust one off.
Green Juice on Repeat
When I traveled to Paris last year, I spent a beautiful first day and night there, then came down with a (particularly miserable) cold - throat on fire, raspy cough. Being sick away from home is hard, being sick in a city like Paris, when you're there for just a short time, is spiritually deflating. So, in preparation for my most recent trip, I became a vigilant hand-washing, snotty three-year avoiding, soup eating person with a juicer permanently on the counter.
I religiously drank a glass of this green juice every day, punctuated with a gingery version of this turmeric tea a few times along the way. It's a variation on one of the (many) green juices highlighted in Pressed Juicery's Juice: Recipes for Juicing, Cleansing, and Living Well, a book I purchased recently, before realizing we share the same editor!
Juicing can be time intensive. I think that is why so many people are inclined to purchase fresh juices instead of making them at home. Quite honestly, I do both. There are stretches when I don't get around to making fresh juice, and other times I make it regularly. I like how fresh juice makes me feel.
Simplifying Green Juice
There are a few ways to make juicing less of a heavy lift. Especially if you tend to juice first thing in the morning.
- Wash, trim, and prepare your produce when you come home from the market. Then refrigerate. This way, it's straight into the juicer when you're ready.
- Make more then you need in one go. Certainly, fresh, immediate juice is the best. That said, I make a three day supply, and keep it refrigerated (you can even freeze it). And it's good. With this juice in particular, you can use it as a soup broth, I even used it to make dumpling wrappers in place of water.
- Clean up as soon as you're finished. A just used juicer is 10x easier to clean than one that has been sitting on the counter all day.
Lastly, keep in mind, this is a juicer recipe, not a blender/smoothie.
More Juicing Recipes
Super Green Juice Recipe
- 2 to 3 kale leaves, to taste
- large handful of spinach
- 1 head romaine
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small bunch of parsley, trimmed
- 1/2 lemon, peeled, deseeded
- 1/2 lime, peeled, deseeded
- 1 1- inch cube of peeled ginger
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled
Combine the above in a juicer - serve, refrigerate, or freeze immediately. Refrigerated, I've found the green juice to be pretty great on day two, as well as the morning of day three.