This is for anyone who needs some great Christmas morning breakfast ideas. After the blizzard of wrapping paper quiets, a cozy (but casual!) brunch is one of my favorite Christmas traditions. Everyone is in good spirits and happy to celebrate together. My family typically does a Christmas dinner later in the day, but having a little something special in the morning is always welcome. That said, preparing for the holidays can be tiring, and everyone appreciates recipes you're able to prep ahead of time. Thankfully, a lot of breakfast recipes fit the bill. Here are a dozen recipes to consider for Christmas morning - a little mix of both naughty and nice!
1. Cinnamon Rolls - This is a great recipe to prep a day ahead. And even if you've never baked cinnamon rolls, it is a totally doable recipe. Start a Christmas morning cinnamon bun tradition this year. These are classic, homemade cinnamon rolls made from a favorite cardamom-flecked, buttery, yeast dough with a generous cinnamon-sugar swirl.
2. Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole - If you’re looking for a great breakfast casserole, this has you covered. It’s a deep-dish merging of grated cheese, bagels, eggs, plant-based sausage and the crunch and savoriness of everything bagel seasoning.
3. The Best Waffle Recipe - My friends and family might be tired of these. But they are special waffles. So good. These waffles are a year-round go-to, and perfect for Christmas morning. Setting up a waffle bar with toppings is always a hit.
4. Deep Dish Quiche - The deep dish quiche of your dreams. It’s made with a flaky all-butter crust. The filling is silky smooth and creamy, while still being perfectly sliceable. Adding roasted winter squash, caramelized onions, and goat cheese makes for a perfect winter holiday or Christmas quiche.
5. Good Granola Bar - If you have a household of granola lovers, consider making this perfect healthy granola and/or this peanut butter granola. You can set up a topping bar and make granola yogurt parfaits. Load up with fresh fruit, toasted coconut, candied walnuts or whatever else you can dream up.
6. Baked Oatmeal Cups - Made with oats, bananas, and lots of berries, these baked oatmeal cups are grab-and-go golden deliciousness.
7. Gougères - Everyone is delighted when a pan of these come out of the oven. Gougères are perfect, golden pom-poms of cheese-crusted magic. This one-pan method sets you up for success every time. Keep these little cheese puffs frozen, and they’re ready to bake straight from the freezer on Christmas morning.
8. Sheet Pan Frittata - Prepare the egg mixture on Christmas Eve, bake a sheet pan frittata with little effort the next morning. Serve with slabs of your favorite toast (for example, this Cheddar Jalapeño Oatmeal Bread), on waffles, or set up a station for people to make their own frittata sandwich with the sheet pan frittata and a few other toppings.
9. Tofu Scramble - Tofu Scramble Yes, to this. If you are over cookies, mulled wine and the rest, this is going counterbalance to all the holiday decadence.
Christmas morning breakfast ideas from outside the 101 Cookbooks kitchen.
10. Heuvos a la Plaza de Mercado - (Sprouted Kitchen / Tara O'Brady) Sara's version of Tara's recipe is a reminder to let your friends and family bring their influences to your table. Make the red sauce and the charred green onion dressing (!) a day or so ahead of time and it's much easier to put this one together on Christmas morning.
11. Vegan Pumpkin French Toast - (Love and Lemons) Love this - French toast that works for the vegans in your family as well.
12. Green Shakshuka - (Bon Appétit) Probably not what your 7-year-old wants to see on her plate, but it will bring a smile to the faces of grown-ups, especially if they've had one too many glasses of prosecco on Christmas eve.